Friday 22 February 2013

Double Page Spread Research

This is the final part of my research on music magazines and this section is focusing on Double Page Spreads. Double Page Spreads are a feature in a magazine which consists of an article spreading across 2 pages of a magazine.


This is a double page spread of a magazine about 'The Vaccines'. A typical double page spread is mostly picture dominated, and as you can see on this DPS this is the case with a picture of the band taking up 3/4 of the page leaving a pretty narrow column for any text that needs to be written. There is only a 2 way colour scheme in this double page spread which is blue and black. Another typical convention of a DPS, is to start the article with a drop capital which has happened here with the huge J at the start. However it is not usual for an article within a DPS to have 2 drop capitals. This adds diversity to the article as not many other music magazines will do the same so this makes the magazine stand out to others. In my DPS I will be using my picture to spread across both pages and cover 3/4 of the whole 2 pages. I will be adding another colour scheme to my DPS so I have a 3 way colour scheme, in this example there is only a 2 way colour scheme of blue and black.





This is a DPS of the music magazine Q. This particular DPS is completely different to the NME one above as the main picture uses one half of the page and the other half is used for text. I like how Q has evenly balanced the picture with the text so that the article is not picture dominated. There is a 2 way colour scheme again for this DPS, the colours on this one are a lightened green and black. Also the article has one drop capital to start the article. Another convention within this DPS is an important quote from the article placed in the middle of the story. I will be including the important quote into my article because this is a really common convention within any type of magazine and it makes it look professional. The picture in this is a mid shot of George Michael however I have said that I will be using a picture that cover 3/4 of the whole of the 2 pages so I don't think that would be possible. I am definitely including a drop capital to start my article.







This is the second DPS from Q and it features the rap artist Jay-Z. The first thing that caught my eye was the sheer size of the red J in the middle of the article. I like this convention because it is unique to other magazines and it actually works because you can see the writing behind the J because the text is black. Another convention which has been typical of Q is to split the picture and the text in half so the picture is on one side and the text on the other.  This edition of Q has 2 drop capitals in the article, this is similar to the first DPS I analysed from NME. There is a 3 way colour scheme of red, yellow and black. I am going to use the 3 way colour scheme convention within my own DPS as this shows that I have made an effort with my research and challenged myself by doing extra work. The important quote is again displayed on the page but instead of it being mixed within the text it is on the side with the picture on it, this adds diversity to the DPS as not many other magazines would do this. I am thinking of doing this as not a lot of people will do this on their work and I will stand out.








This is a DPS of Florence Welch from the music magazine NME. This is a good DPS to analyse because the text and image are not split. The picture covers the whole of the 2 pages then the text is placed on top of the image where ever this space which is in the bottom right hand corner of the page. The article starts with a drop capital as all of the DPS' I have analysed have done the same. The colour scheme for this DPS has a very sleek looking design to it as the background of the picture is silver and so is the huge title which is impossible to miss. The use of black as well also shows the reader that the colour scheme is very sophisticated. This DPS is definitely picture dominated. With the style of this DPS having the whole picture covering both pages and the text placed on top appeals a lot to me because I said I wanted to have my DPS picture dominated. I like how the text is columned and I will somehow try to incorporate this into my DPS.








This is the final DPS I am analyzing and it is from NME and the article is about Lady Gaga. Just like the Jay-Z DPS there is a big letter covering the majority of article which seems to be a common occurrence in some music magazines. Another feature that I have came across before is the 2 drop capitals but they start different paragraphs and don't start the main article. This DPS consists of black, white and red as a 3 way colour scheme. The structure of this DPS is more organised than the previous on as the 2 pages are split in half to have different jobs to display different content. The 3 way colour scheme is a convention that I am definitely going to include within my DPS  and this is reflected in this DPS. I will be using drop capitals but only one at the start of the document and not more than one and in different places.













No comments:

Post a Comment